The emphasis on a good oral hygiene is a very important part of our preventive care.
At the check up and clean visits, the hygienist will carry out a specialised periodontal (gum) examination, take diagnostic x-rays, clean the teeth and apply fluoride. While the dentist will be carrying out a comprehensive examination and treating any problems found.
The hygienist’s role includes:
- Oral hygiene instructions which are personalised to your needs so that you will know the best way to look after your mouth.
- Dental education for patients so that they have a better understanding of their problems.
- Dietary advice in relation to tooth decay.
- Re-mineralization advice on how to stop or prevent tooth decay if required.
- Removal of plaque and calculus (tartar) above and below the gum.
- Advanced gum treatment under local anaesthetic or inhalational analgesia.
- Screening of the oral environment and taking x-rays.
- Fissure sealing